Let’s go down the memory line, and see what are my first ever English books I bought. The first ever book I attempted to read in English was of course Harry Potter. I was obsessed with this book, so it was an obvious choice for me to read it in English. I never actually completed this book… My first Book Depository orders don’t represent the books I read in English first, before I invested my own money into those books I was borrowing books from my aunt. But after a while her books weren’t enough, and I had an enormous fascination with Lena Dunham and feminism at this point (first one is long gone, second is still with me), so here are the books I bought at this time, back in 2015.
First order: January 6th, 2015
by Adelle Waldman
I’m pretty sure I bough this book because it was mentioned in Lena Dunham’s book or mentioned somewhere by her. I loved this book. I don’t remember much of it right now, but when I think about the book I just remember that I enjoyed it. Maybe I’ll re-read it soon to check my feelings about it now?
Second Order: December 2nd, 2015
This time I bought a bunch of books, and majority of them I didn’t read to this day… But I’m still happy with those purchases and I intend to read them sooner or later. And my second order, was a big one…
- HOW TO BE A WOMAN by Caitlin Moran
- FAT IS A FEMINIST ISSUE by Susie Orbach – I read this one, it was very emotional and important read for me.
- WHY BE HAPPY WHEN YOU COULD BE NORMAL? by Jeanette Winterson
- I CALL MYSELF A FEMINIST by various writers
- WE SHOULD ALL BE FEMINISTS by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – MUST READ
- EVERYDAY SEXISM by Laura Bates
- MEN EXPLAIN THINGS TO ME by Rebecca Solnit – powerful collection of essays
- THE FIRST BAD MAN by Miranda July
- ASKING FOR IT by Louise O’Neill
- MY OWN STORY by Emmeline Pankhurst
- A FIELD GUIDE TO GETTING LOST by Rebecca Solnit
- EAT MY HEART OUT by Zoe Pilger
- SCUM MANIFESTO by Valerie Solanas
Third Order: January 20th, 2016
- DELICIOUS FOODS by James Hannaham
- FATES & FURIES by Lauren Groff
- BETWEEN THE WORLD AND ME by Ta-Nehisi Coates
What are your first orders from Book Depository?