This will the most random way of finding new exciting reads. Each week I’ll choose some random word and I’ll try to find books with this word in the title that I find interesting. This might result in my TBR growing exponentially. Each week though, I’ll first look if there’s a book that I already read that has this word in the title.About ‘You do not want to read’ category – I have a ‘lost interest’ shelf on Goodreads, so it’s asy for me to identify books that I don’t what to read.
This week’s word is: YEAR
– Books I’ve read –
- In Twenty Years by Allison Winn Scotch – a pleasant read about group of university friends reunited twenty years after the graduation
– Books I want to read –
- Because of Sex: One Law, Ten Cases, and Fifty Years That Changed American Women’s Lives at Work by Gillian Thomas – non-fiction book about the law that made it illegal to discriminate “because of sex”
- Witness to the Revolution: Radicals, Resisters, Vets, Hippies, and the Year America Lost Its Mind and Found Its Soul by Clara Bingham – non-fiction presenting American history of tumulous 1960s
- BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine – collection of feminist essays from magazine BITCH
- The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion – another non-fiction book, memoir of marriage, children, loss, grief and life.
– Books I do not want to read –
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez – I tried to read it, but I just couldn’t get through it, it’s not for me.
- The Year We Turned Forty by Liz Fenton, Lisa Steinke – it might be an enjoyable read, but probably not memorable
- The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota – I just think it will be too sad and devastating to read
- The Year of the Great Seventh by Teresa Orts – YA, where the relationship between two teens unlocks ancient Egyptian curse? And they’re presented as celebrities on the cover. No, thank you.
Words for next weeks:
8th January – snow (hopefully it will finally snow here… I didn’t get white Christmas and I’m sad about it)
15th January – birth (it’s my birthday week so I have to celebrate bookishly)
22nd January – free (season of holiday breaks in schools, I don’t go to school anymore but the sentiment of winter break is still there)
29th January – rights (2018 is a Year of Women’s Rights in Poland)